BlueSky Online School is one of Minnesota’s first virtual schools serving students in grades 7-12. Our unique personal approach to online learning is unmatched by other schools. Our three-person teams of caring professionals offer students the support and one-on-one attention they need to succeed.
There is no “typical” BlueSky student. BlueSky students come from all walks of life and cultural backgrounds. All have different reasons for needing the flexibility and personalized attention of an online education.
High-quality educators. BlueSky teachers, counselors and social workers continually strive to engage students in learning. We meet the unique needs of each student through constant communication and encouragement. Students are in frequent communication with teachers via phone, e-mail, text messages, and online chats.
Individualized learning programs. Students, staff and parents work together to select a program that works best for each individual’s learning style, skill level, grade level and credit requirements. The program can be uniquely tailored to each student’s interests and personal needs.
Flexible and convenient. With access to learning resources 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, students are free to work during their most productive learning hours, conveniently from home or any location that has Internet access.
Free to all Minnesota residents. BlueSky is a statewide public school, free to all students in grades 7–12 throughout Minnesota.
College, right around the corner. At BlueSky, students can get a head start on college credits through online college-level courses or through the state PSEO program. Our licensed counselors guide students as they investigate colleges and universities to continue their education after graduating from BlueSky.
BlueSky Online is the first Minnesota-based charter school with a completely online curriculum. Since 2000, BlueSky has provided a free, high-quality online education to Minnesota residents in grades 7-12.
In June of 2005, BlueSky had its first graduating class of 17 students. BlueSky’s enrollment has grown through the years and remains capped at 500 students at any one time. 124 students graduated with their diplomas during the 2018–2019 school year.
Other online schools have since followed BlueSky’s lead, but only BlueSky has built upon its reputation of being first – first online, first to graduate students and first in innovating ways to help today’s students succeed.
Values and Beliefs
We believe staff
- Accept all students where they are in the moment.
- Respect the inherent dignity and worth of the person.
- Recognize the central importance of human relationships (respect, compassion, understanding, positive attitude,
- Behave in a trustworthy manner with the ability to self-regulate.
- Continually strive to increase their professional knowledge and skills and to apply them in practice.
- Value one another.
- Operate effectively as a team.
- Provide innovative and engaging lessons, which contribute to quality education.
- Foster positive, healthy relationships.
- Show compassion and understanding.
We believe that academic excellence
- Empowers students and their families with the right to self-determination.
- Occurs when students are excited about their future; and believe they are capable of learning and impacting the
- Is a lifetime journey that involves connections with others.
- Is embracing and enjoying the process of life-long learning.
- Prepares students for the future.
- Allows students to achieve their goals.
- Happens when students learn to overcome any obstacle.
We believe students
- Need respect, understanding, acceptance, guidance and support.
- Contribute a voice in their educational experience.
- Deserve a quality education.
- Can learn and be successful.
- Are unique and have value.
- Thrive when they are involved, inquisitive, given choices, and are active partners in learning.
We believe students are their best as learners when the environment
- Provides hope and a sense of capability.
- Is safe with unconditional regard.
- Encourages positive, healthy adult relationships.
- Provides motivation, feedback, positive reinforcement and opportunities for setting authentic goals.
- Is flexible and able to adapt to change.
- Can respond to unique learners by exploring different ways to succeed.
- Encourages technological skills and includes state of the art equipment.
We believe families
- Need support and nurturance.
- Contribute to the learning community.
- Are unique and have value.
- Require attention, time, energy and balance.
BlueSky Online School’s curriculum, instruction and assessment practices, along with its governance and leadership is accredited by the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement.